Alderson, Thomas John

Submitted by edpope on

HCR diary 26.4.1836  "I called on Mrs Aders - they are going to remove and board with Alderson near the Jaffrays - This is a measure of economy"

                    28.4.1836  "I had made enquiries about Alderson the attorney with whom Mr & Mrs Aders are going to board and I learned he failed six years ago but that there is no imputation on his moral character"

                      6.5.1836  "called on Mrs Aders at Lower Eaton Str. The A:s are gone to live with Mr Alderson (cousin of Mrs Opie). Mr A: recognised me as having known me formerly"

The Jaffrays (QV*) lived in Eaton Square, Thomas James Alderson at Lower Eaton Street (electoral roll 1839). His father Thomas Alderson (1740-1799) was the oldest son of the Rev James Alderson (1727-1760) dissenting minister of Lowestoft, Suffolk and his wife Judith (nee Mewse). Their other children were James (1742-1825) a doctor, and father of Amelia Opie (DNB 1769-1853) / Judith 1749-1797 wife of Robert Woodhouse and mother of Robert Woodhouse (DNB 1773-1827) / Robert (1752-1833) father of Edward Hall Alderson (DNB 1787-1857) / John (DNB c1758-1829) / and Elizabeth who remained unmarried. Thomas Alderson married (as his second wife?) Sarah Boulby at Durham in 1789. Their children were Thomas John Alderson born 28.11.1791 Durham, Sarah born 1793 Durham, and Elizabeth born 1795 at Kirk Merrington, co. Durham, who married in 1830 Henry Perronet Briggs (DNB 1791-1844). Thomas John Alderson was articled to John Griffith, attorney of Common Pleas, in 1808. He was mentioned, not in a very good light, in a case at Kings Bench 17.10.1827 Vice v Lady Anson (Standard 18.10.1827). He was declared bankrupt 27.6.1828 as money scrivener of Chancery Lane (see Nat Arch B 3/124). In the 1851 census he was living at 10 Lancaster Place, Strand, listed as unmarried, and a clerk in the register office chancery. In 1863 his name appeared in newspaper ads as a director of the Constantinople and Alexandria Hotels Company Ltd. He died on 4.1.1864 at Lancaster Place. The Times of 29.1.1866 reported that the Company had been wound up without making any yield, leaving liabilities.